Sunday, January 25, 2015

Shoes


I had a review in which the reader, annoyed by the cover image, pointed out quite rightly that Alex Milne wouldn't wear Keds.

True.  I'm not sure that I specified his footwear choices in Flash as I'm not given to describing clothing, carpeting or scenery very much but he would wear boots to support the ankle that was broken.

I didn't realized that  the cover image was so important to some readers.  I just thought--as most writers do--that if the design is eye-catching and appealing, it will lead readers to at least sample the book.  Apparently this common belief is wrong.

Obtaining the right cover art is very difficult even for traditionally published authors.  I've had several book covers I didn't like at all and some I loved.

For an independent author, you generally rely on stock photos and Photoshop.  It's very expensive, and I mean it could be $1000, to have a custom photo taken that is specifically for your book.  Even then you can't necessarily choose someone who looks like the characters you've imagined.

So I propose we give up the designed covers and just go with generic brown paper wrappers.

Would that make your reading experience better or worse?


3 comments:

  1. Definitely worse! I love your cover art and don't inspect it too closely. I haven't seen the cover in question, but isn't a cover just supposed to be a general impression for the book? Also, are we so sure this guy would never ever wear a sneaker? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send me your email address and I'll send you Flash and Flash of Light. Alex was a film actor. The cover photo had a guy in pretty ratty flat/cheap sneakers. Keds. The reader was right, he wouldn't wear those. Payless sneakers probably! Thank you for the very kind words about my covers. I love doing them but they should be good not just fun. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will you be continuing this series? I've been waiting! Lol

    ReplyDelete